The South

Where tea is sweet and accents are sweeter; summer starts in April; front porches are wide and words are long; macaroni and cheese is a vegetable; pecan pie is a staple; Y’all is the only proper pronoun; chicken is fried and biscuits come with gravy; everything is darling and someone is always getting their heart blessed. -unknown

Friday, April 30, 2010

The Innocence of a Child

Don't you just love the innocence of a child.

Last night Brooks and I went to a Mexican restaurant together, just me and him. I had decided to let him get a soft drink with caffiene rather than the usual Sprite. After the waiter took our order and walked away, Brooks said, "Mom, do they have lemonade here?" I knew where this conversation was going but said, "I don't know Brooks, why do you ask?" He said, those people over there have "lemonade."

I was not about to have the conversation about what was really in their glasses. Not because of what it was, but because of the numerous questions I would get. I am not ready for Brooks to grow up. I am not ready for him to notice all of the things of the world.

I want him to stay in his little world, where "STUPID" is a bad word.
Where it is ok to hug your best friend, and people not look at you because two boys are hugging on each other.
Where it is still ok to be compasionate to others and not be looked at "funny."
Where it is still ok to want to sleep with a comforting object.
Where it is still ok to kiss your mom in public.
Where I am the number one girl in his life.

I know all of this is going to change one day, and has to change, but I want it to just slow down a little.

2 comments:

Louise said...

I just love him!!! I'm not ready for him to grow up either!!! :)

carrie said...

I am with you on this. Todd is still that way. I pray often that he remains innocent.