The South

Where tea is sweet and accents are sweeter; summer starts in April; front porches are wide and words are long; macaroni and cheese is a vegetable; pecan pie is a staple; Y’all is the only proper pronoun; chicken is fried and biscuits come with gravy; everything is darling and someone is always getting their heart blessed. -unknown

Monday, November 5, 2007

This Morning

Let me tell you how my morning started off. I got ready for work this morning and was going to head out and feed the new ducks. As I am about to walk out the door, I noticed a girl sitting out by our pond. She looked to be around 12 or 13.

IT WAS 5:45 IN THE MORNING!!!

There are a lot of families in our neighborhood that let their children come down to the pond. It doesn't bother Brent and I if they ask first. So that got me to thinking. What child that age gets up at that time of day, and what parent would let them come down to our house at that time of morning.

(Let me also point out that we don't have any blinds across the back of our house, because as we thought up until today, "who is going to see us?" We don't have any neighbors behind us. There are many mornings when Brent or I walk through the house dressed indecently, trying to get ready, because again, "who is going to see us?" Now I have the answer- "random neighborhood girl" is going to see us!)

I am not confrontational, so I just waited a few minutes and watched her try and feed a wild mushroom to the ducks, and then trek on up the street toward wherever. When I went out there, someone had left a big rubber tub and a towel by the pond. (People also leave random junk around the pond-but that is for another day.) I guess someone thought that these wild ducks needed a place to sleep. Of course they are not going to get in that tub! So, now we have more random junk to clean up.

Is it just me, or is this strange?

7 comments:

tamblair said...

Very odd, indeed. I think I might have to ask some questions if she was seen again.

Unknown said...

Yeah, very weird. Why was she wondering around so early?

Unknown said...

that would be wandering around, although I am sure she was wondering as she wandered.

carrie said...

I wonder if a parent knew where she was. What parent would allow a child to go on someones property at that time of the morning. Better yet, who wants to get up that early if they don't have to?

Elizabeth Johnston said...

I think it's very strange and even a little scary! Are you up at 5:45 every morning??

Unknown said...

(about ACA) that is crazy. I e-mailed Monica a few times and she said how weird it was to have her classmates kids as students. Sometimes it makes me sad that my kids won't go there.

Leah said...

Strange! Even a bit spooky!