The South

Where tea is sweet and accents are sweeter; summer starts in April; front porches are wide and words are long; macaroni and cheese is a vegetable; pecan pie is a staple; Y’all is the only proper pronoun; chicken is fried and biscuits come with gravy; everything is darling and someone is always getting their heart blessed. -unknown

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Day 7, March 15th

We started this day out very early at 4:00. This was a picture I took in the cab.

We flew from Jakarta to Lampung using one of their domestic airlines. To say that we were stared at in the terminal would be an understatement. This was the way the airport looked around the gate area.

The flight was only 35 minutes long and we only got to 12,000 feet. I found out later that these were fish hatcheries on the coast.
More pictures from the plane.
Brent had told me that because the winds were bad sometimes and the runway wasn't that big, that the planes had to land pretty hard sometimes. He said that sometimes the overhead bins even popped open. So when it happened to us, I had to laugh. I am glad I snapped a picture of it. I am also glad that he had warned me, because everyone screamed when we landed.
This was our plane.
This was our luggage heading to the "baggage claim" area.
This was my first glimpse of Lampung.
We were already late for bible class, so we dropped our things off at Brent's parents house that they still own, (and that Barry is staying at right now), before we went to worship. This was a picture I snapped in their neighborhood.
When we arrived at church everyone, AND I MEAN EVERYONE, came up and greeted us. They were so friendly and kind. Even though I don't speak the language, you still felt welcomed and that they were glad we were there. I found out a few minutes later that we came in while they were still having bible class, because they went back to class after we arrived. So if that isn't a greeting, I don't know what is.
I am so glad that we got to worship with the members in Lampung. What an experience to know that even though our worlds are completely different, we are united in Christ. We sang "Love Lifted Me" but it was in Indonesian. I don't know what it was about hearing the tune that I was familiar with, but the words were different that made me feel a real connection with everyone. It was such an illustration to me that we are all one in Christ.
Brent spoke for worship services. He had an interpreter, but he also spoke to them in Indonesian too. (I bet you can't guess where I am. Oh yeah, I am the bottle blond in the middle of the room.)
***Side note: There were probably about 65 people at worship services that morning but the singing was like none I had ever heard for a group that size. We could all take lessons from them because they apparently know that singing comes from the heart and the true meaning of worship. I was so uplifted!
Here is Brent speaking with Victor interpreting.
Here is a short clip of Brent speaking. Of course, he had to mention me:)

(I have to mention that the "prison" comment came from Brent talking in his lesson about when he visits the prisons, that everyone wants to sing "Count Your Blessings." That the prisoners are always joyful when they assemble to worship. He was making the point that it doesn't matter where you are, or who you are, that we should always be joyful in our worship.)After worship we headed to the city of Metro. Along the way we passed many rice patties.

We also passed some goats. You just never know what you will see.
We ate at Sulis and her husband's house for lunch. Sulis and her sisters are Brent's parents' adopted daughters. Sulis has two children, Gabi age 4 and Amanda age 3 months. I didn't get a picture of Amanda because she was napping by the time I thought about it.
We had a wonderful lunch as you can see below. The rendang was wonderful. The best I can describe it is beef tips over rice but with a hot, sweet, coconut flavor. I make it at our house, but it is nothing like eating it over there. We also had wonderful fruit. The yellow on the table was little bananas. They were sweet and good. We also had pineapple. Over there, they don't have to core it because it is allowed to ripen longer. It was sooo good.
This is Suningsih and her son Hazekea age 2.
This was Gabby. His mother said that he was so excited about us coming, and then the whole time we were there, he stayed in the other room because he was too shy. He is cute!
This is Suningsih, Sulis, me, and Lidia.
Later that afternoon, we went and did a little sight seeing. Barry took us to a place where we could overlook the city. It was just beautiful there.
We then went to the grocery store to stock up on some snacks. Don't you want some of these?
Later that evening, we ate at the Sheraton where we were staying. EVERYONE that worked there knew Brent's dad because him and his mom would eat there so often. It was a nice treat and delicious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome experience! I am glad you two are having so much fun and bringing us all along!

Three plus Me said...

So, were the chips good? Thanks for sharing the church experience too!